How to Dress for a First Date - Men
If clothes make the man, create the man you want to be.
1. Decide with your partner what tone you want to set for the event, and whether it is a formal, casual or specific event such as a swim party.
2. Make an honest impression and a statement about your style and attitude at a casual dinner or first date.
3. Pick from the classic basics unless you have a specific side of yourself to express. For most guys, that means khakis, jeans or casual dress slacks.
4. Choose Oxford button-down shirts in blue, white or patterns. They pair up well with most pants and are attractive without being fussy. They layer well over a T-shirt and under a sweater, too.
5. Show off those pecs in a knit shirt or T-shirt for comfort and versatility.
6. Wear a dress shirt and tie, with or without a sport coat, to convey your attention to detail and your civility while still being casual.
7. Decide on your footwear. Athletic shoes are accepted in most places but generally oxfords, boots or loafers look better for a date. Sandals can be clean-cut, counterculture or sporty.
8. Wear neutral colors if you want your conversation to do the talking.
9. Remember that personal grooming says more about you than your clothes.
That mesh tank or talking T-shirt will not go unnoticed. Everything you choose to wear on a first date gets a lot of attention.
Ask your date if the event will require a suit or dressy outfit. Nothing is more dampening than the wrong clothes.