||Zoot Suit Glossary
Zoot Suit Glossary
- Tramas - Wide-legged, tight-cuffed, or "pegged"
- Carlango - Long coat with wide lapels and
wide padded shoulders.
- Tapa or Tanda - Felt hat with long feather.
- Calcos - Pointy French style shoes.
- Pachucos - Mexican American youths in mid-20th
Century who wore flashy clothes such as zoot suit.
- Zoot Suit Riots - Series of riots that erupted
in Los Angeles, California during World War II between
sailors and soldiers stationed in the city and Mexican
American youth gangs headed by Pachucos who wore zoot
- Zazous - French version of zoot suit worn
after World War II. The French youth wore these suits
to express their individuality.
Zoot Suits Today
In spite of the riots of 1943, zoot suits are still
popular in today's world. After the war, the rationing
of clothes was over. More and more people started wearing
the zoot suits. People feel more relaxed and comfortable
in zoot suits than any other men's suit. The teenagers
like the loose fitting trouser which is perfect for
dancing and cool style with flashy look.
The popularity for mens zoot suits increased with movies
such as "Mask," "Wild, Wild West," and trilogy "Matrix,"
yellow zoot suit with a broad brimmed hat
became worn by Jim Carrey in the movie "Mask" increased
the sale of zoot suits with vivid colors and designs.
Zoot suits got stylish trendy look from the movies such
as "Wild, Wild West" and "Matrix." The long stylish
coat worn by Keanu Reeves in the movie "Matrix" has
brought a new style in zoot suits.